Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Pulp caps from dentaltown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ekrause

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Pulp caps from dentaltown Reply with quote

I respec the heck out of John Kanca but totally disagree with him here. I heard him speak several years ago and he gave this protocol on pulp caps. It simply does not work. Jerry Avillion says a pulp cap will work on a healthy pulp but agrees that can only be obtained with a mechanical exposure with abosolutely no contamination...essentially impossible even with a dam in place and it often isn't. Anything that you can stick an explorer in is an exposure and will eventually result in loss of vitality and possibly emergency pain for the patients. The VAST majority of endodontists agree that pulp caps DO NOT work. Guy

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
satchdds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all know from experience that they do work and stay vital. I not saying all of them don't go to the dark side but if you start with an asymtomatic pulp you have a good shot...........remember endodontists only do rct
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pulp caps from dentaltown Reply with quote

Ekrause wrote:
I respec the heck out of John Kanca but totally disagree with him here. I heard him speak several years ago and he gave this protocol on pulp caps. It simply does not work. Jerry Avillion says a pulp cap will work on a healthy pulp but agrees that can only be obtained with a mechanical exposure with abosolutely no contamination...essentially impossible even with a dam in place and it often isn't. Anything that you can stick an explorer in is an exposure and will eventually result in loss of vitality and possibly emergency pain for the patients. The VAST majority of endodontists agree that pulp caps DO NOT work. Guy

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Who is Jerry Avillion? I have never heard of him and I know all the biggies in pulp biology.

"You don't have a town named after you"
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satchdds wrote:
we all know from experience that they do work and stay vital. I not saying all of them don't go to the dark side but if you start with an asymtomatic pulp you have a good shot...........remember endodontists only do rct

You know what I say about selection of pulp cap candidates and a good history and the "four horsemen."

bj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endodontists only get the pulp caps that go bad. They are not following a successful case for 20 yrs like we are. They can only rely on research, which they should.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endodontists see only failing pulps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: