Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Surpass
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Surpass Reply with quote

Surpass is a new adhesive soon available from Apex. In contrast to Simplicity, t will consist of three bottles. It is analogous to bonding systems such as Optibond Fl, All Bond 2 and Scotchbond Multi-Purpose.

There is a separate conditioner, primer and bonding resin. Surpass will differ from the above systems in that it is a "no-rinse" or "self-etch" system. It is considerably quicker to apply than the above systems, can be made much thinner than the above systems, and absolutely anything can be stuck to it.

It is about as easy as it gets to apply. Surpass 1 is applied in the same manner as Simplicity 1, applied to the cavity and agitated for about 10 seconds. Just as with Simplicity 1, Surpass 1 is not dried. Then three brushfuls of Surpass 2 are applied and the cavity is dried thoroughly for ten seconds. Then a coat of Surpass 3 is applied, thinned and light-activated for ten seconds. There is no interpreting anything. There is no rinsing of etchant, no splashing of etchant about the mouth, no guessing at how wet the dentin should be. No catalysts are needed for self-cure materials. Surpass can be made as thin as anyone desires.

Test have been run at Tufts and Ultradent, in addition to here in my office. At Tufts Dr. Kugel and I averaged 53 mPa at two hours on dentin. We saw 35 mPa with Core Paste in 30 minutes.

At Ultradent we averaged nearly 60 mPa on dentin at less than one hour. We obtained about 40 mPa immediate bond strength to enamel. Neil ran a set of samples in which I asked him to thin Surpass 3 as much as he could. The result was over 50 mPa within 30 minutes.

Surpass is not intended to be a replacement for Simplicity. There are people here on these boards who have told me that they will not part with a two bottle system, and I understand that. Yet there are many, many clinicians who still use the so-called 4th generation materials, which are often described as "gold standard." It is my intention that Surpass be viewed as the "Gold Standard" for self-etching adhesives, and I hope those who still use the 4th generation materials will find that Surpass is what they have been waiting for in their next bonding system.

Cool

"You don't have a town named after you"
cool kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my sim, but I'm sure I'll order 1 to try. Will you be doing a video for this also?
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool kid wrote:
I love my sim, but I'm sure I'll order 1 to try. Will you be doing a video for this also?

I will indeed be doing a video for Surpass. Cool

k1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages of surpass compared to simplicity? Are the bond strengths higher? Any other advantages?
Does Simplicity have any advantages over Surpass aside from being a 2 bottle system? I am sure to try Surpass when it comes out Very Happy

Thanks for the info Smile
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bond strength numbers are higher. I had every intention of making something with sky-high bond strengths. When one's friends and fellow researchers look at the numbers and say "Was that really a 60?" it makes you feel pretty good.

It is less technique sensitive than Simplicity and there's a lot of leeway as long as one does not dry Surpass 1. We tried throwing in several monkey wrenches and it took them all famously. You canot overdry Surpass 2, you can underdry it and it still works great, you cannot make Surpass 3 too thin either.

Neil and I both were kind of blown away by the 50's in spite of the adhesive being about 10 microns thin. Cool

k1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the info!

Can't wait to give it a try. Very Happy
cool kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it officially out? I love sim, but Gary (the guy I work with) sometimes feels it is technique sensitive. He may love this stuff.
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not officially available just yet. I wanted all of our crew here to have first contact.

Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
It is not officially available just yet. I wanted all of our crew here to have first contact.

When will Scott let us have the material? I guess I have more lecture material!!!!!!!! Wink Cool
satchdds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good when can I try it ?
DrDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Please share some reports about Surpass from your favorite Cajun beta tester.....
Has Bruce shared any opinions of it with you yet?

Dan Smile
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce has used it and has some very nice things to say about it. Cool

Pcus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have everyone send in their thoughts with regard to different clinical situations when they would require a stronger bonding agent. I think alot of us may assume a stronger bonding agent may be benificial in all situations..but I am not so sure..

For example, I have come accross many differnt types of abfraction lesions. Some are very deep, some rough some smooth and sclerotic. and so on. There have been situations where some have failed, and I know it is occlusally realated, but I am hesitant on adjusting occlusion..Would a stronger bonding agent be beneficial in this situation, when we are dealing with flexural forces, or detrimental??? I have been told in these types of situations to keep the bonding agent a little thicker to allow for a little more flexeral leeway..

I am very excited with this new surpass and will most likely switch over immediately, even though I am quiet comfortable using the Simp System.

Is is just me or does everyone want to get the highest bonds strengths possible? I am just curious if we really need them in all situations..So this is why I would be interested in everyones comments on this issue.

As I am thinking here is another situation...What about cracks, in the enamel and the root. Could a stronger bonding agent seal a small crack, in the root, and avoid the extraction of a tooth? You know the ones you can see on an exploratory surgery (I have a periodontis that works in my office) Would it not be cool to just seal them up

..Or with those cracked cups, could they be bonded together and avoid full coverage??

Put your thinking caps on boys...this could be an interesting discussion.

Is there any way we could get spell check on this forum, or is it here and I don't how to use it??
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic ought to go elsewhere- in the general discussion section- if you don't mind I'd like to keep this thread on Surpass.

john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given "Paul's question" a place under the general discussion section. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: