Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Chlorhexidine prior to Simplicity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drshagadelic

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Chlorhexidine prior to Simplicity Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the use of Chlorhexidine (after alcohol, prior to Sim 1) would adversely affect Simplicity in any way?

1. Alcohol, dry.
2. 4% Chlorhexidine, dry.
3. Simplicity as directed.

I understood that Chlorhexidine was the only way to prevent MMP degradation of the dentin bond over time. Is this truely the case, does it pertain only to 4th/5th generation bonding agents, and is it of any benefit with Simplicity?
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you desire somekind of chlorhexidine, then I would recommend the use of Consepsis from Ultradent.

If you read the article carefully, it is suggested that the pH's of most self-etch systems is too high to deactivate the MMP enzyme. It is also suggested that the pH of H3PO4 is low ehough to decativate the MMP enzyme.

Simplicity is different from most self-etch systems. Simplicity 1 has a pH of 0.6, which is close to that of H3PO4 and therefore does have a low enough pH to deactivate the MMP's.

Now, having written all that great news, I am not totally convinced of the MMP phenomenon. That makes me a poor marketer as I should have the guys make an ad with this information in it. Confused

"You don't have a town named after you"
drshagadelic

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

So would you still use the alcohol 1st, Consepsis 2nd, drying as you normally would prior to Sim 1?

I agree with you on the uncertainty of the MMP phenom. I heard about it in a lecture by Pascal Magne and then followed up by finding only one or two research articles on the subject. I figured that until I had heard otherwise, it probably wasn't doing any harm to use it.
cool kid

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the alcohol step alone would be fine. Am I wrong JK?
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do think the alcohol step is sufficient, but the additional step won't do any harm.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: