Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Simplicity and veneers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and you could also drop the extra Sim 2 layer if you are really going to be able get light through the crown effectively.

"You don't have a town named after you"
LARRY T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: veneers Reply with quote

I can't help but think that after 5 coats of sim 2 on tooth followed by curing and 1 cured coat on veneer that the veneer will not fit as well on the prep. I just employed the technique the other day and after curing the sim 2 on the veneer, I placed the veneer on the model and it seemed that it did not fit the same. In the past, with other materials I would not cure the bonding agent first. Would leaving the sim 2 uncured really affect the bond strength significantly, and with dual cured would it be imperative to cure the first 5 coats? I am just concerned that my margins gingivally might not be as smooth as I am used to.
brad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry-
Thinning adequately should do the trick....about 5 seconds, full-blast, 2 inches from the prep---- the thinner the better.
Cincinnati, OH 45244
513-231-5353
www.cincytoothdoc.com
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: veneers Reply with quote

LARRY T wrote:
I can't help but think that after 5 coats of sim 2 on tooth followed by curing and 1 cured coat on veneer that the veneer will not fit as well on the prep. I just employed the technique the other day and after curing the sim 2 on the veneer, I placed the veneer on the model and it seemed that it did not fit the same. In the past, with other materials I would not cure the bonding agent first. Would leaving the sim 2 uncured really affect the bond strength significantly, and with dual cured would it be imperative to cure the first 5 coats? I am just concerned that my margins gingivally might not be as smooth as I am used to.

Remember that when materials are not activated when placing a veneer, the shrinkage stress is away from the tooth. I supect that you possibly had some pooling at the margins. Under normal conditions there's no way a veneer fits better than the thickness of Simplicity. Make sure the coat on the veneer is blown very thin and make sure you evacuate the pooled material from the margins. Cool

dsg_c1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john,

i have always used a light cure cement with all of my anterior cases - especially veneer cases. since making the change to simplicity i have tried to seal all my preps. i have stopped "shrink wrapping" my temps on due to not wanting to bond my temps in place. i am aware of the sim 2 only protocol to "shrink wrap".

here is my question finally: do you prefer to "shrink wrap" or seal the preps with sim 1/2? which one do you typically do?

thanks,
d
www.pacificNWsmiles.com

friend of flem
frequently a blasphemer of John Kanca III, DMD
doc4smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsg_c1 wrote:
john,

i have always used a light cure cement with all of my anterior cases - especially veneer cases. since making the change to simplicity i have tried to seal all my preps. i have stopped "shrink wrapping" my temps on due to not wanting to bond my temps in place. i am aware of the sim 2 only protocol to "shrink wrap".

here is my question finally: do you prefer to "shrink wrap" or seal the preps with sim 1/2? which one do you typically do?

thanks,
d

bump.-I am interested to hear this one too. Please help.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john,

thanks,
d

D

With veneers I leave the preps wet and add several coats of Sim 2 ONLY, and dry and light-cure. Then I shrink-wrap the temps. At delivery they can be removed without a lot of effort and I'll begin anew with he bonding procedure. This is different from the usual protocol but then veneers are very different things themselves.

drshagadelic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed you at Yankee this year, John. My girlfriend had her gall bladder out on Fri, so I've been playing nurse all weekend and couldn't get away! Just curious as to whether or not there have been any modifications to your veneer protocol with Simplicity. Unlike my technique for crowns, I generally do not seal my veneer preps. Are you still recommending Sim 1&2, cure, as usual for the tooth; Interface, Sim 2, cure, veneer cement to the veneer? Thanks in advance, John. BTW, cold enough for ya on Friday?
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drshagadelic wrote:
Missed you at Yankee this year, John. My girlfriend had her gall bladder out on Fri, so I've been playing nurse all weekend and couldn't get away! Just curious as to whether or not there have been any modifications to your veneer protocol with Simplicity. Unlike my technique for crowns, I generally do not seal my veneer preps. Are you still recommending Sim 1&2, cure, as usual for the tooth; Interface, Sim 2, cure, veneer cement to the veneer? Thanks in advance, John. BTW, cold enough for ya on Friday?

Sounds exactly right.

Sorry to miss you, and hope everything heals uneventfully.

It was a really good meeting, and good grief it was cold Friday night! Shocked

drjth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magne makes a convincing argument for immediate dentin bonding even for veneer preps. This has screwed my regular shrink wrap technique, as I've been applying Sim 1 and 2 immediately after prep. Anybody have a good temporization technique for sealed dentin that won't cause the temps to be bonded in place?
Thanks in advance,
jeff
403-234-7400
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjth wrote:
Magne makes a convincing argument for immediate dentin bonding even for veneer preps. This has screwed my regular shrink wrap technique, as I've been applying Sim 1 and 2 immediately after prep. Anybody have a good temporization technique for sealed dentin that won't cause the temps to be bonded in place?
Thanks in advance,
jeff

I place sim 2 on wet tooth, dry it and light-activate it. Then I shrink-wrap the temp's. That's because I know that Simplicity is not affected by temporization because I tested it. Pop off the temp's and lightly sandblast the preps.

No problemo.

I've been immediate dentin sealing since Magne was in dental school.

drjth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response John,
does the proceedure you describe actually seal the tubules and prevent microleakage? How's post op sensitivity?
cheers,
jeff
403-234-7400
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjth wrote:
Thanks for the response John,
does the proceedure you describe actually seal the tubules and prevent microleakage? How's post op sensitivity?
cheers,
jeff

Tubules need only be temporarily obturated to block sensitivity. I have seen no overt leakage and patients are comfortable.

drjth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the tubules are partially blocked, can I be confident in unblocking them with aluminum oxide and treatment with Sim 1 in order to hybridize the dentin properly? I'm fearful of not getting an adequate bond at the delivery appointment. Debonds suck! Thanks again for the tip. Very Happy
403-234-7400
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjth wrote:
So if the tubules are partially blocked, can I be confident in unblocking them with aluminum oxide and treatment with Sim 1 in order to hybridize the dentin properly? I'm fearful of not getting an adequate bond at the delivery appointment. Debonds suck! Thanks again for the tip. Very Happy

Sure.

I've been doing it this way I made Simplicity. Since the Sim 2 is applied over a non-etched smear layer there is no real bonding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: