Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post


Thera Cal?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ilikecoffee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Thera Cal? Reply with quote

Is there any evidence that shows Thera Cal to be effective or any valid way to compare or contrast it with polycarboxylate for exposures?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6346

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine there is something about it in the literature but when I did a search for "Thera Cal dental" I got



"No items found."
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6346

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the website and I am having a hard time resolving something in my mind. They claim zero solubility in water for TheraCal but still claim release of calcium. I don't know how that's possible.

In glass ionomers there has to be water sorption for the release of anything- like fluoride.

But then again, calcium release has never been a prerequisite for pulpal healing.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ilikecoffee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of light cure MTA seems intuitively attractive, but the evidence is so scant. We are about to implement it clinic wide. The best I can say is that it has to be better than vitrabond used by most.

It is attractive to practioners, since it is easier to apply than durelon.

Thank you for responding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6346

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilikecoffee wrote:
The concept of light cure MTA seems intuitively attractive, but the evidence is so scant. We are about to implement it clinic wide. The best I can say is that it has to be better than vitrabond used by most.

It is attractive to practioners, since it is easier to apply than durelon.

Thank you for responding.


Ask for some data, and try not to laugh.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
macadoo



Joined: 31 Jan 2014
Posts: 36
Location: Washington, NC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
I looked at the website and I am having a hard time resolving something in my mind. They claim zero solubility in water for TheraCal but still claim release of calcium. I don't know how that's possible.

In glass ionomers there has to be water sorption for the release of anything- like fluoride.

But then again, calcium release has never been a prerequisite for pulpal healing.


I'm assuming you feel the same way about Ultradent's Ultrablend pulp cap material?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6346

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macadoo wrote:
john kanca wrote:
I looked at the website and I am having a hard time resolving something in my mind. They claim zero solubility in water for TheraCal but still claim release of calcium. I don't know how that's possible.

In glass ionomers there has to be water sorption for the release of anything- like fluoride.

But then again, calcium release has never been a prerequisite for pulpal healing.


I'm assuming you feel the same way about Ultradent's Ultrablend pulp cap material?


I do. It's a urethane-based resin. Doesn't really release anything.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
macadoo



Joined: 31 Jan 2014
Posts: 36
Location: Washington, NC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
macadoo wrote:
john kanca wrote:
I looked at the website and I am having a hard time resolving something in my mind. They claim zero solubility in water for TheraCal but still claim release of calcium. I don't know how that's possible.

In glass ionomers there has to be water sorption for the release of anything- like fluoride.

But then again, calcium release has never been a prerequisite for pulpal healing.


I'm assuming you feel the same way about Ultradent's Ultrablend pulp cap material?


I do. It's a urethane-based resin. Doesn't really release anything.


Sad Man, that sucks...I've loved using it for the last couple of years, but I've often wondered how anything is released from it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6346

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macadoo wrote:
john kanca wrote:
macadoo wrote:
john kanca wrote:
I looked at the website and I am having a hard time resolving something in my mind. They claim zero solubility in water for TheraCal but still claim release of calcium. I don't know how that's possible.

In glass ionomers there has to be water sorption for the release of anything- like fluoride.

But then again, calcium release has never been a prerequisite for pulpal healing.


I'm assuming you feel the same way about Ultradent's Ultrablend pulp cap material?


I do. It's a urethane-based resin. Doesn't really release anything.


Sad Man, that sucks...I've loved using it for the last couple of years, but I've often wondered how anything is released from it.


Resins need solubility to release anything and that's not a good thing.

That stuff will work, but no better than carboxylate cement.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group