Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

How to use surpass to bond chairside fabricated onlAy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillamr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: How to use surpass to bond chairside fabricated onlAy? Reply with quote

I am trying out making composite onlays using parkell's Mach II die silicone. Once I have completed the onlay, what is the best way to use surpass to bond it?
-try in and adjust restoration
-Alcohol/air abrasion the intaglio? How does removing the air inhibited layer with alcohol after try-in affect bond strength?
-do I need to use interface on the onlay?
I plan to use a self cure resin cement like maxcem. I am sure anchor is great too, just haven't tried it yet.
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to use surpass to bond chairside fabricated onlAy? Reply with quote

gillamr wrote:
I am trying out making composite onlays using parkell's Mach II die silicone. Once I have completed the onlay, what is the best way to use surpass to bond it?
-try in and adjust restoration
-Alcohol/air abrasion the intaglio? How does removing the air inhibited layer with alcohol after try-in affect bond strength?

Apply Surpass 2 and light-cure

-do I need to use interface on the onlay?

Won't hurt but not crucial for resin onlay

I plan to use a self cure resin cement like maxcem. I am sure anchor is great too, just haven't tried it yet.

You'll like it.

"You don't have a town named after you"
gillamr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Does removal of the air-inhibited layer from the onlay have any effect on bond strength? I thought the a-I layer was crucial to getting composite to bond to itself (in this case the onlay to the resin cement). Are there still enough unbonded molecules on the surface of the onlay after using the alcohol that the surpass 2 still adheres to the onlay really well which then creates a good bond to the cement or is the surpass 2 getting into the roughened surface from the air abrasion and creating retention in a macro-mechanical way? Not sure if my question makes sense.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillamr wrote:
Thanks John. Does removal of the air-inhibited layer from the onlay have any effect on bond strength? I thought the a-I layer was crucial to getting composite to bond to itself (in this case the onlay to the resin cement). Are there still enough unbonded molecules on the surface of the onlay after using the alcohol that the surpass 2 still adheres to the onlay really well which then creates a good bond to the cement or is the surpass 2 getting into the roughened surface from the air abrasion and creating retention in a macro-mechanical way? Not sure if my question makes sense.

The short answer is "yes."

Wink

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: