Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

BPA danger overrated and overblown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> John's Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: BPA danger overrated and overblown Reply with quote

Quote:
Missing in this debate is that it’s not just ‘industry groups’ that think BPA shouldn’t be banned — or just industry-sponsored studies that say it’s safe. Scientists, regulators, politicians in Europe, Australia, and Japan have all rejected the evidence that the chemical is harmful as methodologically flawed, badly conducted, or irrelevant — with some warning that banning it could actually endanger the public. Now that the National Institutes of Health has acknowledged that it funded a lot of poorly-designed research on BPA — the very research that is touted as evidence that the chemical is deadly — it’s time to ask whether America has been spun by clever marketing rather than clever science.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/flaws-in-the-case-against-bpa/

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif.—California will not place Bisphenol A, a chemical used in the manufacture of plastic baby bottles and toys, on the state's list of chemicals that are believed to cause reproductive harm.
A state board voted Wednesday that the chemical, also known as BPA, will not be covered under Proposition 65, a voter-approved measure used by regulators to identify substances that can cause cancer or reproductive harm.

The panel of seven physicians voted unanimously, saying there's not enough scientific evidence of BPA's potential dangers.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12846524?nclick_check=1&forced=true

The global warming of dentistry

"You don't have a town named after you"
jasonl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JK, do you still get the ACE email forum emails??

Discussion right now about the scary BPA...

would love your input on BPA as well as Apex materials.

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonl wrote:

Jason

I don't as I could not keep up with the volume, but I did say that I would be available if needed.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Pav

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
jasonl wrote:

Jason

I don't as I could not keep up with the volume, but I did say that I would be available if needed.

As long as we get all of the info here I'm happy Very Happy
jasonl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some of the info from the email discussion....

At the Phyzzi Jazz course in Park City yesterday, Kaye McArthur presented a pretty scathing indictment of bisphenyl A and its congeners. All these are very powerful estrogen mimics with wide ranging biochemical downside risks and found in many plastics.

She also noted that we may be relaxing far too soon when we're told by manufacturers that their products like sealants and other composites have no BPA.

Many seem not to realize that what they are putting in are at least close chemical relatives.

Maybe Diamond Crown could be an alternative to bis-GMA composites, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see xeno-estrogenic effects there if anyone actually sits down and does the cell line testing.

Take a look at the attached slide. Pretty chilling. NOW, what do we use instead?

I know, let's use amalgam!

Very interesting course, especially when it comes to new perspectives on sleep. We really need to do decent hormone assessments to see how levels may be impacting our patients.

regards
bill domb

---------------------------------------

Hard to decide where the truth lies. Somewhere between two extremes?

BPA can't hurt at low level exposure (see http://www.bisphenol-a.org/about/faq.html )...is this an industry website?
Researchers from government agencies, academia, and industry worldwide have studied the potential for bisphenol A (BPA) to migrate from polycarbonate products into foods and beverages. These studies consistently show that the potential migration of BPA into food is extremely low, generally less than 5 parts per billion under conditions typical for uses of polycarbonate products. At this level, a consumer would have to ingest more than 1,300 pounds of food and beverages in contact with polycarbonate every day for an entire lifetime to exceed the safe level of BPA set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Consequently, human exposure to BPA from polycarbonate plastics is minimal and poses no known health risk.

The use of polycarbonate plastic for food contact applications continues to be recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the European Commission Scientific Committee on Food, the United Kingdom Food Standards Agency, the Japan Ministry for Health and Welfare and other regulatory authorities worldwide.

Government and industry researchers have reported that bisphenol A (BPA) is generally not detected in canned beverages and only extremely low levels (generally less than 37 parts per billion) of BPA have been reported to migrate into some canned foods. At these levels, a consumer would have to ingest more than 500 pounds of canned food and beverages every day for an entire lifetime to exceed the safe level of BPA set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Consequently, human exposure to BPA from can coatings is minimal and poses no known health risk.

Can coatings continue to be recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.K. Food Standards Agency, the EU Scientific Committee on Food and other government bodies worldwide.

Several studies have reported that trace levels of bisphenol A (BPA) may be released from certain dental sealants, but only during a short time period immediately after application of the sealant. In addition, the highest level of BPA exposure reported from dental sealants is more than 50,000 times lower than levels shown to cause toxicity in animal studies. Based on these findings, human exposure to BPA from dental sealants is minimal and poses no known health risk.

and then there are those who say 1 ppt (one part per trillion-) is harmful. 1 ppt is one drop of liquid in 660 rail tank cars. That’s a train 6 miles long! .
"What is more, hormones also exert influence in exquisitely minute quantities, typically in parts per trillion. One part per trillion is the scientific equivalent of almost nothing."
see http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article828261.ece where Vom Saal is interviewde and his research is mentioned.

Many IAOMT members are using Cerec, but you still have to cement them in with BPA containing bonding agents.

Are we headed back to cementing gold inlays and onlays (or ramming in gold foils) with Zn phosphate cement?
If a safe alternative was developed for amalgams (gallium alloys)
...see http://100ans.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-64/issue-9/645.html

hardy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ekrause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Hardy Limeback???
Ekrause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fischer has the best info on this BPA BS.

http://www.towniecentral.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=162&t=134780&r=2351112
jasonl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "hardy" is hardy limeback.

Thanks, E.
Ekrause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a strange duck.
priior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol what a coincidence!! we were just talking about him! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> John's Blog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: