Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Effect of bur selection on bond strength

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Effect of bur selection on bond strength Reply with quote

J Adhes Dent. 2008 Jun;10(3):173-82.Links
Effect of dentinal surface preparation on bond strength of self-etching adhesives.Yiu CK, Hiraishi N, King NM, Tay FR.
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China. ckyyiu@hkucc.hku.hk

PURPOSE: This study examined the effects of cutting dentin with different burs at various speeds on the microtensile bond strength (muTBS) of two self-etching adhesive systems. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Flat deep dentin surfaces from 50 extracted human third molars were divided into 5 groups (n = 10) according to bur type and speed of rotation: (I) high-speed diamond bur, (II) low-speed diamond bur, (III) high-speed tungsten carbide bur, (IV) low-speed tungsten carbide bur. Controls were abraded with 600-grit SiC paper. A two-step self-etching adhesive, Clearfil SE Bond (SE, Kuraray) and a one-step self-etching adhesive, Clearfil S3 Bond (S3, Kuraray) were applied to dentin surfaces and light cured. Composite buildups were performed using Filtek Z250 (3M ESPE). For lTBS evaluation, composite-dentin beams of 0.8 mm2 were stressed to failure at a crosshead speed of 1 mm/min. The muTBS data were analyzed using two-way ANOVA and Tukey's multiple comparison tests. Representative fractured beams from each group were prepared for fractographic analysis under SEM. RESULTS: Two-way ANOVA showed that the effects of dentin surface preparations, adhesive systems, and their interaction were statistically significant (p < 0.001). The muTBS was the highest when bonding SE to dentin surface prepared with 600-grit SiC abrasive paper (47.3 +/- 7.4 MPa), followed by high-speed tungsten carbide burs (40.8 +/- 6.1 MPa), and the lowest when bonding S3 to dentin surfaces prepared with a high-speed diamond bur (15.2 +/- 6.2 MPa). SEM observation of the fractured surfaces revealed mixed and adhesive failures for SE groups, while in the S3 groups, adhesive failures predominated with numerous inclusion droplets. CONCLUSION: Higher bond strengths are achieved with SE bond when applied on dentin surfaces prepared with tungsten carbide burs. Proper bur and adhesive selection are essential to optimize dentin adhesion of self-etching adhesives.

"You don't have a town named after you"
twmdds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John! Is this counter-intuitive? I thought increase in surface roughness (eg: prep with a diamond) would increase retention???
Tom
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twmdds wrote:
Wow John! Is this counter-intuitive? I thought increase in surface roughness (eg: prep with a diamond) would increase retention???
Tom

This is one study and with a specific set of materials. We are looking into whether this it true for Simplicity and Surpass.

I am engaged in a study on totally non-prep class V's on any kind of lesion- shiny or rough.

Too early to make any observations but you'll hear it here first!

twmdds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Swift discussed this in class. Said all the research was done on smooth class V's that were unprepped. He said he always preps his (as I do mine) due to the failure rate (upwards of 30%) of unprepped Class V's.
Tom
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you were wondering where that data came from:

Am J Dent. 1992 Dec;5(6):315-7.Links
Interfacial morphology of resin composite and shiny erosion lesions. Gwinnett AJ, Kanca J 3rd.
Department of Oral Biology/Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook 11794-8702.

Ten shiny erosion lesions were divided horizontally, in vivo such that the gingival half was prepared and the incisal half remained unprepared. Both were etched simultaneously with 32% H3PO4 for 20 seconds, rinsed and restored using the All Bond wet technique and P50 composite. The teeth, which were extracted as part of a treatment plan, were sectioned vertically midway through the restorations. Polyvinyl siloxane impressions of the tooth/resin interface were taken and examined by SEM for the presence of gaps. The teeth were then demineralized and the fitting surfaces of the restorations were examined for resin penetration into the dentin. Results showed that there were no gaps present in any of the interfaces. The most proliferative and deep resin penetration occurred in the prepared/etched halves.

Wink

twmdds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much John. Does this mean you used to be somebody ?Very Happy Tom
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twmdds wrote:
Thank you so much John. Does this mean you used to be somebody ?Very Happy Tom

I am not sure. I think so....

Pcus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that study done on class 2 and 3 or class 5.?

To prep a class 2 or 3, one would normally use a carbide bur anyway, right?. I think the adhesive issue is with these class V's

I for one have been micro-etching with 27micron aluminum oxide only, with little to no diamond etching of the enamel, and I am quiet satisfied with the results.

John has told us to micro etch both enamel and dentin for a while now....are there any studies to compare the effect of micro-etch vs diamond roughening vs carbide bur roughening...
Pcus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??????????
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pcus wrote:
Was that study done on class 2 and 3 or class 5.?

To prep a class 2 or 3, one would normally use a carbide bur anyway, right?. I think the adhesive issue is with these class V's

I for one have been micro-etching with 27micron aluminum oxide only, with little to no diamond etching of the enamel, and I am quiet satisfied with the results.

John has told us to micro etch both enamel and dentin for a while now....are there any studies to compare the effect of micro-etch vs diamond roughening vs carbide bur roughening...

1. It was done on a flat surface of dentin.

2. Yes.

Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: