Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Contamination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Contamination Reply with quote

Should the bonded surface become contaminated once Surpass has been light-activated, then it may be cleaned with alcohol, rinsed and dried, and a fresh coat of Surpass 3 may be applied and thinned.

If placing a light-activated resin composite, the new Surpass 3 layer not be light-activated itself.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Contamination Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
Should the bonded surface become contaminated once Surpass has been light-activated, then it may be cleaned with alcohol, rinsed and dried, and a fresh coat of Surpass 3 may be applied and thinned.

If placing a light-activated resin composite, the new Surpass 3 layer not be light-activated itself.

Meaning the resin composite and New Surpass can be activated together?

Thanks Cool
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Contamination Reply with quote

Mark J Fleming DDS wrote:
john kanca wrote:

Meaning the resin composite and New Surpass can be activated together?

Thanks Cool

Yes, when using light-activated resin composite, not exceeding 2 mm in thickness.

cool kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any issue with activating the sur 3 before the layer. Just trying to keep all steps consistent
Swifty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should contamination occur following application of Sur 3 but prior to light curing, am I correct in assuming it is best to control the source of contamination, clean the prep with alcohol, wash and dry, and start over again with Sur 1?
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I would do.

dsg_c1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info
later,
d
www.pacificNWsmiles.com

friend of flem
frequently a blasphemer of John Kanca III, DMD
spitmon1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings John
As a Cerec user, I wonder if scrubbing the cured Surpass 3 with 70% isopropyl or acetone to remove imaging powder affects the bond strength? Have you done any tests to quantify this.
Also, is there any advantage to using acetone or alcohol?

Thanks
Steve
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is rebonded, it all works just fine. It can be brought back to control level strength.

Either acetone or alcohol may be used.

cool kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
As long as it is rebonded, it all works just fine. It can be brought back to control level strength.

when you say "as long as it is rebonded" are you talking about just refreshing the sealed prep with new sur 3 or doing 1,2,and 3 (the whole shebang) again?
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool kid wrote:
john kanca wrote:

when you say "as long as it is rebonded" are you talking about just refreshing the sealed prep with new sur 3 or doing 1,2,and 3 (the whole shebang) again?

I believe Dr. Kanca tested, by request, refreshing the sealed prep with Surpass 3 and the bond strengths did not suffer. Wink It was asked on DT and also by zen dentist. Cool
LARRY T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When placing ten veneers, I will try in all the veneers at the same time -- usually just with water. I then prepare the veneers by sandblasting, rinsing, interface and Surpass 3. If I decide to place six at a time and then two and two, what should I do if the treated veneer has contact with plain water? Can I simply dry off and bond into place, or would you place another layer of Surpass 3? I believe I have simply dried off and cemented the veneer in the past. Should I tell the patient to catch the veneers as they fly out of his mouth? Earlier on the Simplicity threads, you had said that if the tooth is sealed under the temp, then you simply need to clean off the cement with alcohol or Sim 1 and rinse with water and then proceed to cement an all ceramic with Unicem if desired. Why here does it state that on the tooth that gets contaminated, you should reapply a layer of Surpass 3 instead of simply rinsing and drying. Should I assume that after cleaning off the cement on a sealed tooth, we should treat the tooth as though it was contaminated -- new layer of Surpass 3?
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When placing ten veneers, I will try in all the veneers at the same time -- usually just with water. I then prepare the veneers by sandblasting, rinsing, interface and Surpass 3. If I decide to place six at a time and then two and two, what should I do if the treated veneer has contact with plain water? Can I simply dry off and bond into place, or would you place another layer of Surpass 3?

I'd freshen the Surpass 3.

I believe I have simply dried off and cemented the veneer in the past. Should I tell the patient to catch the veneers as they fly out of his mouth?

I am not sure why you would do this. Perhaps the premise is not clear.

Earlier on the Simplicity threads, you had said that if the tooth is sealed under the temp, then you simply need to clean off the cement with alcohol or Sim 1 and rinse with water and then proceed to cement an all ceramic with Unicem if desired. Why here does it state that on the tooth that gets contaminated, you should reapply a layer of Surpass 3 instead of simply rinsing and drying.

The rinsing and drying precede the application of the Surpass 3. There are two distinct situations being described here- one involving the use of a self-etching resin cement or the use of a resin-modified glass ionomer and secondly bonding in the ceramic with the use of a resin cement.

Should I assume that after cleaning off the cement on a sealed tooth, we should treat the tooth as though it was contaminated -- new layer of Surpass 3?

That depends on whether the prosthesis is being cemented in or bonded in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: