Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Please tell me what I am doing wrong - bonding failures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bralli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Please tell me what I am doing wrong - bonding failures Reply with quote

Sorry you're having problems.

At what point are you applying the Interface to the tooth? Is it at the same time as onto the Cerec or some time later?
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Please tell me what I am doing wrong - bonding failures Reply with quote

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 pm Post subject: Please tell me what I am doing wrong - bonding failures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been using Simplicity (Interface and Anchor too) under my Cerecs for about a month now and I have had a few pop off. I've even had a couple come off when I flossed them. The bond to the porcelain doesn't seem to be the problem, as the resin is clearly sticking nicely to the porcelain. I've also had a very sensitive one's that when I prepped off kind of "flipped out" of the prep very easily. Please review my technique and tell me what I am doing wrong:

1. Clean Cerec and prep with isopropyl alcohol.

Cerec prepararation - Interface to Cerec. 20 seconds. Dry away all solvent. Liberal Simplicity. Dry away solvent. Cure. Wet with another layer of Simplicity. Do not cure.

Tooth preparation - Interface to tooth. 20 seconds. Leave wet (but not pool). Liberal Simplicity saturating preparation (do not scrub or agitate). Air dry until all solvent evaporated. Apply another coat of Simplicity. Air dry again. Light cure. Apply a 3rd coat. Do not cure.

Load Anchor. Tack cure. Assistant holds Cerec firmly down with a condensor. Remove excess. Floss. Fully light cure.

----

Also, in those situations where it comes off while I am flossing, do I have to sandblast off the Cerec or can I just rinse off the bonded surface, dry, and recement? (Again, the failure seems to be from the tooth, not the Cerec.)

[quote="bralli"]

"You don't have a town named after you"
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of light are you using?

A note: Anchor should be allowed to gel before you light-activate it.

bralli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm applying Interface at the same time to both Cerec and tooth. I am using a Demetron LC curing light (incandescent, not LED).

I'm not really allowing the Anchor to gel on its own. I am imediately gelling it for a few seconds with the curing light, then cleaning up the excess, flossing, and then my assistant fully cures after that (20 seconds).

When I put the final "wet" layer of Simplicity on both the Cerec and prep (the layer that is not cured) should I also be blowing that dry to evaporate the solvent?
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bralli wrote:
I'm applying Interface at the same time to both Cerec and tooth. I am using a Demetron LC curing light (incandescent, not LED).

I'm not really allowing the Anchor to gel on its own. I am imediately gelling it for a few seconds with the curing light, then cleaning up the excess, flossing, and then my assistant fully cures after that (20 seconds).

When I put the final "wet" layer of Simplicity on both the Cerec and prep (the layer that is not cured) should I also be blowing that dry to evaporate the solvent?

You must REALLY allow Anchor to gel before cleaning it or curing it. You must ALWAYS evaporate the solvent from Sim 2 whether you cure it or not! Cool
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flem is quote correct. Cool

Solvents must always be removed. FYI- there is so little light that goes through those pieces of ceramic it might shock you.

Take one of your pieces of cerec, put it on a light meter and see how much actually goes through when you put the light on it.

Then let us know what you find. Wink

Howardmg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
FYI- there is so little light that goes through those pieces of ceramic it might shock you.

John- Since you recently found this out, do you now recommend a dual cure (Anchor! ) for veneers instead of a light cured material like Rely x Veneer cement?

Thanks...Howard

Howard M. Goldstein DMD.
Bethlehem. PA.
www.exceldentalcare.com
bralli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just seated a #30 endo-crown and this time I made sure to evaporate all solvent thoroughly at all steps and I let the Anchor self-cure to a gel stage. It looked great. No cement line visible... So knock on wood... Very Happy
bralli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more thing:

I'm using the same brush for both the Interface and the Bond. Is that bad?
Ekrause

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bralli wrote:
Sorry, one more thing:

yes!!

Microbrush for interface or Sim 1, Bristle brush for Sim 2

WATCH THE VIDEOS!!!!
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bralli wrote:
Sorry, one more thing:

Yeah, that's bad.

I think we have a handle on this now. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: