Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Sealing after prep, temp and cement are hard to get off!HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bquan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Sealing after prep, temp and cement are hard to get off!HELP Reply with quote

I seal my preps with Sim after the impression. Cement the temporary INlay, onlay, 3/4 crown with either watered down Durelon or tempbond NE.

I want to be able to cement without numbing the patient up. However that has been difficult because the temp won't come off! They fit to nicely, especially for inlays and onlays. I find that I have to drill it off and numb the patient up.

ALso after I get it off, cemen still is there. I clean with alcohol and sim1 because its acidic. However if I dry the tooth it still looks as if there is spicules of cement in the crevices.

What are you guys doing? Give a newbie some advice to save time and anesthetic!
Howardmg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some good crown removing pliers and grab a hold of the sucker and wiggle back and forth like you are doing an extraction. Only rarely do I have to drill a temp off and I am using watered down Durelon (and just started experimenting with watered down ZnPO4). I use my old Hollenbach carvers from dental school to scrape off the old cement. Occasionally I will sand blast it off. I do not get anal if a speck of cement is left in a groove and I cannot get it out as long as it is not raised and effect the fit of the new crown. I very rarely numb at the cement appointment anymore.

Howard M. Goldstein DMD.
Bethlehem. PA.
www.exceldentalcare.com
satchdds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched to patterson brand temp cement. much better than temp-bond ne. no leakage easy clean up. try it
bquan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown removing forceps? How about for a MOD Inlay or a 3/4 crown? There isn't really a place to get it off.

Also if you sandblast, then don't you need to reapply the sim1 and sim 2 over again?

I like the idea of just removing the temp, clean, apply one more layer of sim2 to tooth, then anchor and lute!

Also I was wondering if I already sealed at prep and forgot I did it at that time, and at cement time if I redo sim 1 and sim2 is there any harm?

By the way I love anchor! Cleans up so easy!
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little bits of cement will easily come off with the application of Sim 1, rinse and dry.

I am surprised that you have trouble removing things placed with TBNE. I chose that material as one which does not retain especially well. I'd suggest you stay with it and perhaps reduce the catalyst amount relative to the base if you wish the temp's to come off easier.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowns cemented temporarily with TBNE rarely if ever produce a problem with removal. Over the years I have found that Backhaus towel clamps are by far the best for removing temps. If TBNE is still a bit too strong add a small drop of oil. I find this works better than altering the base/catalyst ratio.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor oil? Shocked

Gerry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that 10W40 HD seems to work best as far as motor oil.

Fine clock oil or the lubricant that is recommended for handpieces is perfect.
scottie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've used Durelon and the cement sticks to the prep, I'll use my Pro-Select scaler, it's like an ultrasonic, and just gently work on the cement and it comes right off. Don't usually numb the patient either.
bquan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the toughest ones to get off are the MOD inlays temp. There really is no area to grip and margins are smooth.

How dilute is your Durelon? Is it watery enough that you can rinse it away after cementing the temp?
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately we've been using zinc phosphate cement diluted with water and have found that it is even easier to remove.

john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown removing forceps? How about for a MOD Inlay or a 3/4 crown? There isn't really a place to get it off.

Also if you sandblast, then don't you need to reapply the sim1 and sim 2 over again?

I like the idea of just removing the temp, clean, apply one more layer of sim2 to tooth, then anchor and lute!

NOTE: If you are bonding something on, it is recommended that you re-apply the adhesive entirely at delivery.

Also I was wondering if I already sealed at prep and forgot I did it at that time, and at cement time if I redo sim 1 and sim2 is there any harm?

By the way I love anchor! Cleans up so easy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: