Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Simplicity under Rely-X; FugiCem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Simplicity under Rely-X; FugiCem Reply with quote

A colleague called yesterday asking about increasing retention of a crown cemented onto a short prep tooth. I was asked if there was any benefit to adhesive strength if Simplicity is applied prior to cementing with Rely-X or FujiCem. The manufacturers told me that "Adhesives are contraindicated. Resin modified glass ionomer cements require intimate contact with tooth structure".

Naturally I seal all preps of vital teeth. So what's the real scoop?
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the scoop is that you seal all preps. Wink

"You don't have a town named after you"
Scott
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Ionomers on a sealed tooth Reply with quote

This has been explained to me before but I can't remember the answer so here goes a second time....why would a glass ionomer be used on a sealed tooth? Without ion exchange via fluid movement, fluoride transfer can not take place. The only transfer would take place at margins...mostly between the glass ionomer and the mouth. The amount of fluoride present is minimal in the first place...being released into the mouth prior to contacting a tooth surface would severely minimize any positive effects of the fluoride. ...right??

Also wouldn't the material naturally expand thru water sorption? In a severe case couldn't expansion of the material under a crown cause internal stresses to build...leading to discomfort or failure of the restoration?

Thanks.
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ionomers on a sealed tooth Reply with quote

How about a quick and easy question once in a while? Sad

This has been explained to me before but I can't remember the answer so here goes a second time....why would a glass ionomer be used on a sealed tooth?

Because it will stick. The resin part of the resin-modified glass ionomer really sticks because of the resin part of the resin-sealed prep.

Without ion exchange via fluid movement, fluoride transfer can not take place. The only transfer would take place at margins...mostly between the glass ionomer and the mouth. The amount of fluoride present is minimal in the first place...being released into the mouth prior to contacting a tooth surface would severely minimize any positive effects of the fluoride. ...right??

If you peruse the literature you won't see a significant performance difference between GI and other classic cements. The advantage due strictly to flouride is questionable.

Also wouldn't the material naturally expand thru water sorption?

GI doesn't expand- it shrinks. RMGI expands a little and compomer expands lots.

In a severe case couldn't expansion of the material under a crown cause internal stresses to build...leading to discomfort or failure of the restoration?

Realistically, that will occur only with compomers. I cemented lots of all-ceramics with RMGI without failures, but now I prefer Anchor or Unicem.

Thanks.

That'll be a Taittinger, please.

Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be a Taittinger, please.

Shucks I was planning on Cristal next week!

Your resin-resin explanation is what I expected. So how should tests be performed to demonstrate the fantastic benefits from using Simplicity!?! Can cements be SBS tested despite their poor modulus development?
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the results become more erratic because of the low modulus.

brad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages/comparisons between Unicem and anchor when using simplicity prior to bonding in an all-ceramic crown/onlay?

The only reason I use unicem is in case I missed a spot in the hybridizing that unicem will self-etch the area for me. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks,
Brad
Cincinnati, OH 45244
513-231-5353
www.cincytoothdoc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: