Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Curing Apex materials with the VALO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Apex Dental Materials, Inc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Curing Apex materials with the VALO Reply with quote

s you may know, I use the Ultradent VALO curing light exclusively. It is a durable and highly robust tool. It offers three curing modes: standard at 1000 mW/cm2, High power at 1400 mW/cm2 and Xtra Power at about 3200 mW.cm2.

For a long time I had been averse to high power irradiance curing of materials but with the the advent of low-shrink, low-stress materials such as Exquisite Restoration there is no reason to resist its implementation. So here is what I do now.

With the VALO set on Xtra Power, I will light-cure Surpass, Simplicity or Surpass for 3 seconds alone. If I am co-curing a thin layer of flowable together with the adhesive I will light-activate for 2 cycles of Xtra Power, for a total of 6 seconds.

I will light-activate a 2 mm layer of Exquisite for a 3 second cycle at Xtra Power (remember, all of this is being done at Xtra Power). I would light activate a 4 mm deep smaller bulk-filled restoration for two 3 second cycles for a total of 6 seconds.

If I am pulse-curing a larger restoration then I would light-cure the increments for 1-2 seconds each. After all is done and polished I would post-cure for 3 second cycle through each mesial and distal embrasure and the occlusal for at least a single 3 second cycle each. This would be done by my assistant.

"You don't have a town named after you"
ilikecoffee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I understand the whys for what you are doing. I am aware of the increased risk of heat and debatable the risk of increased shrinkage with the more intense cures.

I always worry about the deep interproximal box. How deep can the Valo grand cure and at what thickness of material at each depth at various settings. The way I have dealt with it is dual cure Injectafil when uncertain , but I would rather flowable with confidence in certain situations.

Your post has been a direct hit at my "analysis to paralysis" of the situation and I am craving more information. This info with the Clearfill clear interproximal matrix may solve some of my worries.
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clearfill clear interproximal matrix" ??

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Apex Dental Materials, Inc. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: