Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Biomimetic dentistry - Alleman Deliperi Bertolotti Magne, et

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Continuing Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drharemza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Biomimetic dentistry - Alleman Deliperi Bertolotti Magne, et Reply with quote

Dr Kanca,
I was wondering what your thoughts where on the Biomimetic dentistry and the teachings of Dr's Alleman, Deliperi, Bertolotti and Magne?

Josh
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please tell me what Biomimetic dentistry is and how it differs from "other" types of dentistry? Thanks Cool
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Biomimetic dentistry - Alleman Deliperi Bertolotti Magne Reply with quote

drharemza wrote:
Dr Kanca,
I was wondering what your thoughts where on the Biomimetic dentistry and the teachings of Dr's Alleman, Deliperi, Bertolotti and Magne?

Josh

I would ask the same question as Mark. What makes that different from anything we've be teaching for 25 plus years?

To be honest, I am probably not unbiased in my responses about this since more than one of my concepts - those that I literally conceived- have been co-opted by the above group without so much as a nod. Those of you who have heard me speak know well that I am careful about proper attribution.

"You don't have a town named after you"
drharemza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not really sure what Biomimmetic dentistry is and how its any different than what we do everyday? thought you might have an opinion of whether what they are saying is good, bad, horse crap??? They seem to be making a push on DT.
Josh
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drharemza wrote:
Im not really sure what Biomimmetic dentistry is and how its any different than what we do everyday? thought you might have an opinion of whether what they are saying is good, bad, horse crap??? They seem to be making a push on DT.
Josh

I honestly think the only difference between what we've been teaching for 25 plus years and what they're teaching now is the marketing.

Ekrause

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
drharemza wrote:
Josh

I honestly think the only difference between what we've been teaching for 25 plus years and what they're teaching now is the marketing.

They use fancier jargon.
scottie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some information about Biomimetic Dentistry on the Internet tonight. There's a big conference in Reno in October and I was sort of tempted to go, but not sure after I read some comments on this thread.
Here's the link http://www.academyofbiomimeticdent.org/
They say you will do less crowns and use composites more to mimic nature.
Jeffrey Hoos one of the speakers said it changed the way he does dentistry.
I use the Apex materials, do composites but there comes a time when a crown is better. I also seal teeth with Surpass, but sometimes teeth are sensitive and may need endo.
Anyway, are there any further thoughts on Biomimetic Dentistry to help me decide whether this conference would be worth it or not?
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like another "Academy" being established.

Scottie, could you link me to the comments? I'd like to read them.

My first impression is that this is no different from anything we've been doing for 30 plus years: convenience preparations, sealing preps, etc.

Quote:
"If your dentist is not practicing Biomimetic Dentistry, ASK WHY!"

Ugh

Quote:
About crowns...
"Dental crowns are rigid metals and do not flex under pressure generated due to biting. Natural teeth have the property of flexing with biting pressure, and this sometimes disturbs the bonding between the crown and tooth. Plaque and toxins find their way through the loose bond and gain access under the tooth, causing decay. This issue is dealt with under biomimetic [principles], wherein, researchers have developed crown alternatives that mimic natural tooth flexing property. The procedures used are good for tooth restoration."
Credits: © http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-there-an-alternative-to-dental-crown.html

Yikes.

Quote:
1. Diagnosis and treatment of caries and decay.
2. Diagnosis and treatment of structurally compromised teeth.
3. Immediate dentin sealing after decay and cracks into dentin are removed.
4. Reducing polymerization stresses in high C-Factor dentin replacements.
5. Preparing enamel for bonding.
6. Adjusting occlusal stresses.

Who hasn't been taught any of this by me?

Rolling Eyes

scottie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
There is an interview with Dean Carlston when you scroll down the conference page at this link http://academyofbiomimeticdent.org/pages/events.php I'd be interested in your comments on the interview.

The comments on the Biomimetic Dentistry were on the KISCO email network. Here's a link to joining that. http://www.kiscodental.com/mm5/merchant.mvc There really weren't that many comments, and most were just asking what it was.
ilikecoffee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascal Magne and his brothers show the some of the finest dentistry i have seen since Harold Shavell. He cares. His U of Michigan research is worth a read. Ever lecturer has good and bad and bias in it. A lecturer usually shows his flaws when he goes beyond his training and into a specialty he has not been trained. You don't know what you don't know.
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie wrote:
John
There is an interview with Dean Carlston when you scroll down the conference page at this link http://academyofbiomimeticdent.org/pages/events.php I'd be interested in your comments on the interview.

The comments on the Biomimetic Dentistry were on the KISCO email network. Here's a link to joining that. http://www.kiscodental.com/mm5/merchant.mvc There really weren't that many comments, and most were just asking what it was.

Missed the post, Scottie. Sorry. Not able to find the discussion.

john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilikecoffee wrote:
Pascal Magne and his brothers show the some of the finest dentistry i have seen since Harold Shavell. He cares. His U of Michigan research is worth a read. Ever lecturer has good and bad and bias in it. A lecturer usually shows his flaws when he goes beyond his training and into a specialty he has not been trained. You don't know what you don't know.

What you say is true but there's nothing like having your brother as an in-house lab tech.

priior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michel's talents are very impressive!! He makes pascal look good! Smile
macadoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Class II prep design when you have a chance…convergent or divergent walls, bevel design, bur choice, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Continuing Education All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: