Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Surefil SDR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john stellpflug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

Would anyone like to comment on the heavily advertised use of Surefil SDR as a bulk filler? Are there any comps or compomers that can be reliably bulk filled?
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

john stellpflug wrote:
Would anyone like to comment on the heavily advertised use of Surefil SDR as a bulk filler? Are there any comps or compomers that can be reliably bulk filled?
Injectafil can be used very nicely wherever SDR is recommended, but I would use neither in heavy occlusal areas. I would and do layer a paste composite like Vit-l-escence over it in those areas. Injectafil is a much more esthetic material than is SDR.

"You don't have a town named after you"
ikke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
but I would use neither in heavy occlusal areas.

Why, dr Kanca?
ikke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

john stellpflug wrote:

I do not trust SDR... I use it as a thin liner, but nothing more than that. CR may say bulk fill all the way, I am a bit conservative in those matters.

I was always told only DC materials are suitable for bulk filling. I wonder still why. Injectafil seems good...
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

ikke wrote:
john kanca wrote:
but I would use neither in heavy occlusal areas.

Why, dr Kanca?

Mostly because I do not have sufficient long term data with it to make that recommendation and I would not have you do something without my having a high degree of confidence in the outcome.

ikke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's a fair answer... I did some bulk fills without top layer and they looked good. Better stop with that until good news is dropping in?
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke wrote:
OK, that's a fair answer... I did some bulk fills without top layer and they looked good. Better stop with that until good news is dropping in?

I think you'll probably be OK in smaller restorations with light occlusion.

vjau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Surefil SDR Reply with quote

john stellpflug wrote:

I would not comment about the bulk fill (i don't trust it) but if your restoration is done with a substantial part of SDR, it will be ugly, even (as recommended) with a regular comp on top.

I just use it in the first initial layer, light cure at the same time than surpass 3 (i guess the photo sensibility of SDR should be a good match with sur 3).
ikke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible how people do not trust the light cured bulk fill technique... Me neither BTW...

And yet, another company provided a material: Venus Bulk Fill... And of course Apex with Injectafil. Wink
Is it because of the slow polymerization due to the chemical cure we can trust this one? So we better do not lightcure it unless it's already a bit hard?
Ekrause

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke wrote:
Incredible how people do not trust the light cured bulk fill technique... Me neither BTW...

And yet, another company provided a material: Venus Bulk Fill... And of course Apex with Injectafil. Wink
Is it because of the slow polymerization due to the chemical cure we can trust this one? So we better do not lightcure it unless it's already a bit hard?

Exactly. Dual cures are different. IF you let them set before light curing them.
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slower polymerization ALWAYS means lower stress.

ilikecoffee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just browsed CRA's composite paper which was VERY favorable towards Surefill. I look at his research papers and wonder how they get the numbers they get. Has anyone else seen this particular paper and questioned it's credibility?
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilikecoffee wrote:
I just browsed CRA's composite paper which was VERY favorable towards Surefill. I look at his research papers and wonder how they get the numbers they get. Has anyone else seen this particular paper and questioned it's credibility?
Of course it was. You'll never see products from the big companies get dinged. It means big bucks.

Will the outcome be any better?

I doubt it. For CRA, long term is typically not more than 6 weeks, if that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: