Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

How does surpass works?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guanhor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: How does surpass works? Reply with quote

This is my understanding of how surpass works. Please point out any misconceptions I have.

Surpass 1: Strong etchant. And we can use a strong etchant in this no rinse system because it will be neutralize by surpass 2 later.

Surpass 2: Neutralises surpass 1, primer and desiccant. By flooding the surface and then blow-drying it, we are kind of "rinsing" off the acid and moisture in preparation for the hydrophobic adhesive in surpass 3. Surpass 2 also sticks to the collagen fibres and prevent their collapse during drying.

Surpass 3: Highly filled hydrophobic resin adhesive for high bond strength and long term stability. Surpass 3 can be hydrophobic because it doesn't have to neutralize or incorporate the hydrophilic etchant. Lack of acidity in the final stage also explains compatibility with dual-cure resins.
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good, except that Surpass 3 is as yet unfilled.

"You don't have a town named after you"
guanhor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If surpass 3 is unfilled why is it so thick? What is the adv/disadvantage of filled vs unfilled. Thanks
vjau

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
Pretty good, except that Surpass 3 is as yet unfilled.

When could that change ? (hope)

Whatever i do (yes, i have tried to co-cure with the flowable), i have still radiolucent lines under my surpassed composites....
Scott
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Surpass 3 Reply with quote

An unfilled resin is easier to thin to achieve low film thicknesses making the material useful for indirect restorations. The filled resins, while generally thicker, can offer some level of radio-opacity.

To eliminate or minimize the radiolucent layer we recommend air thinning the Surpass 3 aggressively prior to light activation.
priior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a consumer.. i wouldnt be too opposed to using an indirect and a direct version of surpass 3.

OR

an extra light body titan?

SUR 1, SUR 2, xLightBody titan

tho i can see the potantial problems if one doesn't read the instructions carefully!!
AlanQuan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with Surpass radiolucency here at all... I don't see a need for 3 to be filled. I blow it quite thin - direct or indirect.
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does surpass work?

Very Well!!!!! Wink Cool
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Surpass 3 Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
An unfilled resin is easier to thin to achieve low film thicknesses making the material useful for indirect restorations. The filled resins, while generally thicker, can offer some level of radio-opacity.

To eliminate or minimize the radiolucent layer we recommend air thinning the Surpass 3 aggressively prior to light activation.

There isn't a problem with indirect restorations because Surpass is made thin enough. With direct restorations the insertion of a thin layer (> 0.5 mm) of Titan right over the Surpass 3 and light-curing it together with the Surpass 3 prevents any radiolucency. It is starkly radiopaque.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: