Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

What's wrong with single step bonding systems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drrix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with single step bonding systems? Reply with quote

I use Surpass. I will never switch, no matter what anyone else says (Gordon...).

Now, I think I pretty thoroughly understand How Surpass works and why I like Surpass, but I do not know how to explain the deficiencies of the single step bonding systems like Clearfill S3

In my group practice, I am the only Surpass user, and I do not try to inflict my clinical opinion on anyone else, but when my colleagues ask what's wrong with S3, my only response is that it is a Jack of all trades and master of none, but I have no specifics.

Would someone mind explaining to me how S3 works and why it is inferior? I would love to get some Surpass converts here in my office.

Thanks in advance,

Rix
drrix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if it has been explained in another thread, maybe someone could direct me to such a thread?
Thanks,
Rix
priior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think first you have to define what is a good bonding agent.. then see if whichever bonding agent fits the bill..

things you could be looking for are: bond strength, adhesive thickness, universality, technique sensitivity, etc..
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with single step bonding systems? Reply with quote

drrix wrote:
I use Surpass. I will never switch, no matter what anyone else says (Gordon...).

Now, I think I pretty thoroughly understand How Surpass works and why I like Surpass, but I do not know how to explain the deficiencies of the single step bonding systems like Clearfill S3

In my group practice, I am the only Surpass user, and I do not try to inflict my clinical opinion on anyone else, but when my colleagues ask what's wrong with S3, my only response is that it is a Jack of all trades and master of none, but I have no specifics.

Would someone mind explaining to me how S3 works and why it is inferior? I would love to get some Surpass converts here in my office.

Thanks in advance,

Rix

Watch the recalls.

S3 does not etch enamel very well. Surpass etches cut and uncut enamel as well as H3PO4.

Bond strengths are mediocre to enamel and just ok to dentin.

It is not compatible with dual- and self-cure materials.

One has to pay very close attention to the expiration date for S3. It definitely deteriorates with time.

And thanks!

"You don't have a town named after you"
vjau

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with single step bonding systems? Reply with quote

drrix wrote:

John will correct me, but i believe that the problem with one bottle self-etcher are that you have no separate neutralizer (like in Sur2), and so acid is never strong enough to attack enamel well.
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with single step bonding systems? Reply with quote

vjau wrote:
drrix wrote:

John will correct me, but i believe that the problem with one bottle self-etcher are that you have no separate neutralizer (like in Sur2), and so acid is never strong enough to attack enamel well.

It's not so much that there's not a separate neutralizer, but you are correct in that they just don't etch enamel well.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: