Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

After sealing & then powdering... What next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renzo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: After sealing & then powdering... What next? Reply with quote

I've been loving the Surpass for sealing preps before I image. Keeps margins super dry, but leaves behind some powder residue after the rinse. I've been using Isopropyl on a microbrush to scub away powder and then rinse. Still looks like a shiny, well-sealed/bonded surface when I'm done drying.

Is this okay? Do I need new Sur1,2 & 3 before seating with Anchor?

Same question if I use Interface to dissolve the powder. Thanks.
Howardmg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I do with every Cerec restoration I do including E Max. I have not had one debond.
It is also what I do with lab processed porcelain. I have gone through this protocol with John Kanca in detail and asked if he had any problems with it and he did not.

I tried for a couple of months not sealing before powdering and noticed a rise in sensivity so now I always seal before powdering and now never have sensitivity..

Before powdering, I seal with Surpass. All 3 steps of course. Blow the Surpass real thin. It does not effect bond strength. Light cure.
After imaging, I have the assistant roughtly clean off the powder with water and alcohol

After the try in, I sandblast the interior of the restoration lightly, and apply Interface. I then use the leftover Interface on a cotton pellet and use it to remove the residual powder. It works great at doing that.
Rinse off the Interface that you used to clean with and dry the tooth bone dry.

I then apply Surpass 1, 2, and 3, all over again on prep. Thin part 3 with air and there will be no fit problems. Light cure.

Thin out the Interface on the ceramic with air and apply Surpass 3. Thin it out with air before light curing...

Should be no problem with fit if you air thin the surpass 3 layers...

Anchor is then the cement I use.
Wait until gel to remove it. Do not tack light cure to speed things up.

Howard M. Goldstein DMD.
Bethlehem. PA.
www.exceldentalcare.com
Renzo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Howard. I need to use another round of Surpass it looks like. I'm wondering if we know what effect Isopropyl or Interface has on an already bonded preparation. As I said, I notice that the prep still looks visibly shiny, but microscopically I don't know what things look like.
Howardmg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel safer going through all 3 steps of Surpass rather than cleaning off the old layer with alcohol and just adding Surpass 3. Doesn't add much time and as I said, I know I have a great, uncompromised bond.

Howard M. Goldstein DMD.
Bethlehem. PA.
www.exceldentalcare.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Surpass All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: