Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

surpass 3 directly over interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwestman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: surpass 3 directly over interface Reply with quote

I understand that after applying surpass1 to enamel, surpass 2 needs to be applied before applying surpass 3, the reason being surpass 2 neutralizes the acidity of surpass1.
So why is it not necessary to apply surpass2 over interface before applying surpass3? Is interface not very acidic?
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: surpass 3 directly over interface Reply with quote

mwestman wrote:
I understand that after applying surpass1 to enamel, surpass 2 needs to be applied before applying surpass 3, the reason being surpass 2 neutralizes the acidity of surpass1.
So why is it not necessary to apply surpass2 over interface before applying surpass3? Is interface not very acidic?

I think you are referring to ceramic surfaces.

They are unlike dentin or enamel. I found that while the coating was more uniform with 2 and 3, the bond strengths were about the same. I still place both 2 and 3. The brushes are right there so I use them.

"You don't have a town named after you"
mwestman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: surpass 3 directly over interface Reply with quote

Yes I was referring to porcelain. I've found that if I apply plenty if interface, wait 30 seconds and air dry I get a good shiny layer of interface to apply what looks to me to be an even layer of surpass3 to, so I think I'm alright not using surpass2 if you're sure the bond is just as good as when using surpass2 in the middle.

About the acidity, though...acidity of interface isn't an issue that shat should be neutralized? ...when applying interface to porcelain or enamel or dentin?

We should leave interface wet when applying surpass2 over it over enamel and dentin, right?

Light curing has no effect on mixed interface, right? Is there any resin in interface (the shiny stuff that remains after drying interface?)

Yes, lots of questions... thanks for answering. Mike
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: surpass 3 directly over interface Reply with quote

Yes I was referring to porcelain. I've found that if I apply plenty if interface, wait 30 seconds and air dry I get a good shiny layer of interface to apply what looks to me to be an even layer of surpass3 to, so I think I'm alright not using surpass2 if you're sure the bond is just as good as when using surpass2 in the middle.

It came out that way in the testing.

About the acidity, though...acidity of interface isn't an issue that shat should be neutralized? ...when applying interface to porcelain or enamel or dentin?

Once it's dry it's not acidic any more.

We should leave interface wet when applying surpass2 over it over enamel and dentin, right?

Right.

Light curing has no effect on mixed interface, right?

Right.

Is there any resin in interface (the shiny stuff that remains after drying interface?)

Sort of. Dental silanes are sort of methacrylates

Yes, lots of questions... thanks for answering.

scottie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, just so that I have your protocol straight for bonding to porcelain, you place Interface on the porcelain for 30 seconds, then Surpass 2 several brushfulls, dry, Surpass 3 and cure. That right? Air abrading the porcelain at the start, I'm sure, would help.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie wrote:
John, just so that I have your protocol straight for bonding to porcelain, you place Interface on the porcelain for 30 seconds, then Surpass 2 several brushfulls, dry, Surpass 3 and cure. That right? Air abrading the porcelain at the start, I'm sure, would help.

Sandblast, yes.

Interface for about 20-30 seconds, and DRY

Then a brushful or two of Surpass 2, DRY

Surpass 3, THIN AND DRY

Light-cure 10 sec

Cool

drrix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: confusion with interface Reply with quote

Dr.Kanca,
In the written instructions for interface, you say to apply surpass 2, thin, and cure, then anchor.
AFTER I did that on today's crownlay with little-to-no ferrule, I saw in antoher thread that you said to place interface, then apply surpass 2, dry, then surpass 3, thin, then cure, then anchor.
Which way is preferable?
Should I be worried about her bond strength?
I had perfect isolation, a circumferential ring of enamel, and applied surpass in the usual way to the tooth.
Thank you
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: confusion with interface Reply with quote

drrix wrote:
Dr.Kanca,
In the written instructions for interface, you say to apply surpass 2, thin, and cure, then anchor.
AFTER I did that on today's crownlay with little-to-no ferrule, I saw in antoher thread that you said to place interface, then apply surpass 2, dry, then surpass 3, thin, then cure, then anchor.
Which way is preferable?
Should I be worried about her bond strength?
I had perfect isolation, a circumferential ring of enamel, and applied surpass in the usual way to the tooth.
Thank you

Either way will work and nothing is compromised. I had tested both and found both work but found the combination of Interface and Surpass 2 on the ceramic to be easier and it eliminates questions of thickness.

drrix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW!
Thanks, Dr.
Rix
Kro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: surpass 3 directly over interface Reply with quote

mwestman wrote:

Ready solution interface is acidic, it is well-etched dentin.
But there are two things:
-when we blow away the dried air from the ceramic is
chemical reaction of polycondensation by the chemical bond
(covalent) coating on the ceramic surface.
-If the etching of dentin, works acid of Interface,
need further Sur 2 and Sur3.
When restoring a ceramic veneer on the tooth, required
аpply Interface in ceramics, leave it for 10 seconds and air
dry. Then again put to dentin Interface (and ceramics),
further Sur2 and Sur3.

Apex is a cool ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: