Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Still experiencing sensitivity with Simplicity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKesling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Still experiencing sensitivity with Simplicity Reply with quote

Hi John,

I have been using Simplicity for a couple of years now with good results, aside from some sensitivity issues. I've been thinking of switching to Surpass, despite the resistance I have from staff.

The patients usually don't complain to me regarding sensitivity issues, but my front office person states that I do get calls complaining of sensitivity. I need to troubleshoot this.

When doing a quadrant of direct composites, do you apply Sim 1 to all of the teeth at once, followed by the Sim 2, or do you apply the Sim 1 and 2 to each individually? Sometimes the Sim 1 tends to pool in the prep, because I tend to make sure the tooth is etched well. Do I need to remove this excess prior to applying Sim 2? From what I can tell, I am following the protocol to a T, but want to make sure I am doing everything I can to eliminate sensitivity issues.

The other thing is, I do not place bases or liners, despite the depth of the prep. Even if I get a small exposure, as long as I obtain hemostasis, I just follow the Simplicity instructions and then place flowable over the exposure. Should I start placing Duralon on all deep preps to appease my staff. I explain to them till I'm blue in the face that bases are not necessary, but they won't believe me.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Jeff
satchdds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grow a pair or get a new staff........About the sensitivity- are you using flow first and double zapping the stuff or going right to composite? And the duralon question - I use it for direct if I forget to leave a little affected dentin and for very deep ones that the pink shows through.
satchdds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ---are you only getting sensitivity on the very deep preps or generally?

I have been using surpass (switched from simplicity) for a long time and have zero problems. I still use simplicity on sealing preps and bonding crowns.

Do you use a dam?
JKesling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satch,

Primarily the sensitivity is from deeper preps. Currently, I am not using a RD much. Keep planning on getting an Isolite, but don't have the cash at the moment. When you place the Duralon, how long do you wait prior to bonding?

Thanks,

Jeff
satchdds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the duralon on in a thin mix with a dycal( should change the name) instrument I usually walk away and do a hyg exam so it take about 5 minute before I etch with #1. Rubber dam (imo) is key to keeping out contamination at this point. I hope JK will chime in and confirm what I am telling you.
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff

I am going to bet you place the Sim 2 some time before you use it. If you're doing quadrants it's several drops.

Yes?

"You don't have a town named after you"
JKesling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John I use several drops when doing a quadrant. Are you saying that the solvent may be evaporating?

Jeff
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKesling wrote:
Yes, John I use several drops when doing a quadrant. Are you saying that the solvent may be evaporating?

Jeff

I am, especially if it's placed in the well ahead of time. That would account for the problems.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: