Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Interface bonding to dentin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
By the way, interface makes it really hard for me to clean the excess cement off of my ceramic-- which anecdotally makes sense-- it's good for the ceramic, bad for me if I don't get it off right away.
I have also been using my brush of sim2 to paint the cement into the margin area to get a perfectly flush and glass-like seal. I hope that will not compromise anything.

I experienced this too. Be sure to use a super-fine microbrush for application of Interface and it helps.

And no, you won't hurt anything. Smile

"You don't have a town named after you"
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
brad wrote:
By the way, interface makes it really hard for me to clean the excess cement off of my ceramic-- which anecdotally makes sense-- it's good for the ceramic, bad for me if I don't get it off right away.
I have also been using my brush of sim2 to paint the cement into the margin area to get a perfectly flush and glass-like seal. I hope that will not compromise anything.

I experienced this too. Be sure to use a super-fine microbrush for application of Interface and it helps.

And no, you won't hurt anything. Smile

Nice idea, Brad.

John, you shouldget those block samples today. I believe on a couple of them you can use the slivers to bond to the testing instrument, as I understand it. Of course, my understanding may not be that good! Cool
cool kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a repair of a porcelain crown that fractured on #11. I took a photo but lost the post op. (don't ask, it has been that kind of week so far!) The pt just had throat surgery 2 days ago and did not want extensive work done at this point in time. I told her that this should hold but it is still a repair. (BTW, she works for the ADA) If it should come off w/i 6 months I'll credit her towards a new crown. She was so happy not to need dental work 2 days post surgery. It looked freaking great too. I love this stuff JK!
DrDan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
Here's what you do- apply the Inteface to everything, let it stand and then dry it thoroughly. Then re-apply it to the dentin surface with the little applicator and leave that wet. It's easy. Smile

John,
What about the Sim 2? Don't you have to dry it? Or do you add that second coat of Interface, leave it wet, then add the Sim 2 and then dry it?

I had an endo access filling today on the palatal aspect of #9 (a PFM crown). I placed the Interface, left it wet for 30 seconds, then air thinned it. Then I painted on the Sim 2, air thinned again, and light cured. One more coat of Sim 2 air thinned/not cured, then Vitlesence, etc. Since I didn't match your guidelines exactly....how do you think it will do? Should I worry much about it? I'm thinking it's gonna do fine.

Dan Smile
john kanca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDan wrote:
john kanca wrote:
Here's what you do- apply the Inteface to everything, let it stand and then dry it thoroughly. Then re-apply it to the dentin surface with the little applicator and leave that wet. It's easy. Smile

John,
What about the Sim 2? Don't you have to dry it? Or do you add that second coat of Interface, leave it wet, then add the Sim 2 and then dry it?

I had an endo access filling today on the palatal aspect of #9 (a PFM crown). I placed the Interface, left it wet for 30 seconds, then air thinned it. Then I painted on the Sim 2, air thinned again, and light cured. One more coat of Sim 2 air thinned/not cured, then Vitlesence, etc. Since I didn't match your guidelines exactly....how do you think it will do? Should I worry much about it? I'm thinking it's gonna do fine.

Dan Smile

Sim 2 is placed as it always is for any given situation. What you did ought to be fine. It is on dentin/ceramic when Interface is placed, left for ten seconds and dried. Then on the dentin the Interface is reapplied and left wet. Obviously some could get on the ceramic and if some of it does get on the ceramic it's no problem.

scottie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John you began this thread by talking about using Inteface instead of Sim1 in impossible situations. Well I have a patient that needs a Cl 4 on a lower anterior central. I thought I would just put a composite on it, but she asked why I wouldn't crown it like her other central, since the restoration placed by other dentists just keeps coming out. I don't like crowning lower anterior centrals and laterals so I asked her to let me try placing a restoration. So my question to you is would you advise using Interface instead of Sim1 in this situation? Or should I just stay with Simplicity all the way, sandblasting and drying for 10 secs before applying Sim1?
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie wrote:
John you began this thread by talking about using Inteface instead of Sim1 in impossible situations. Well I have a patient that needs a Cl 4 on a lower anterior central. I thought I would just put a composite on it, but she asked why I wouldn't crown it like her other central, since the restoration placed by other dentists just keeps coming out. I don't like crowning lower anterior centrals and laterals so I asked her to let me try placing a restoration. So my question to you is would you advise using Interface instead of Sim1 in this situation? Or should I just stay with Simplicity all the way, sandblasting and drying for 10 secs before applying Sim1?

Tell me about the occlusion- >50% overbite and zero overjet?

Gerry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottie asked Simplicity or Interface for D & E bonding rather than a crown. The adjacent central apparently has a crown. Why not crown for cosmetics - especially as the restorations attempted by others have all failed. Also, I don't recall any clinically significant difference in SBS between Int & Sim on tooth structure. Yeah - I'm never thrilled about crowning lowers anteriors either but occassionally you have little choice. Some guy once said "Occlusion will always overcome adhesion."
scottie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the occlusion off hand on that lower central. I'll find out.
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the type of occlusion I suggested is present, you might be better off to go ahead and place a crown on that tooth, unless you have strong feelings about not doing so.

Pav

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, once mixed, how soon before interface is useless? can I then use that then go to surpass 2-3? Ok Dr K. Explain the chemistry why's and wherefores to me please! Just use nice simple words, this Grasshopper needs time to digest the information given to him Very Happy
john kanca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pav wrote:
So, once mixed, how soon before interface is useless? can I then use that then go to surpass 2-3? Ok Dr K. Explain the chemistry why's and wherefores to me please! Just use nice simple words, this Grasshopper needs time to digest the information given to him Very Happy

From the standpoint of using it for ceramics, a coupls of minutes. It will still be useful for tooth application beyond that. If there's any confusion about it, just stick with Surpass 1 on the tooth. It was there for the convenience and for repairs in which ceramic and tooth structure are adjacent.

Nice group here at Whittlebury!

Gerry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity at 9:00 AM this morning I made a fresh mixture of Interface. Using Simp(licity) & Z-100 did 7 samples on VMK ceramic. At 11:00 I'll set up another 7 using the same (now 2 hour old) Interface. Stress them on Wed. Could be interesting!
cool kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you brought up that topic pav. The associate I work with asked me a question and it sort of coincides with this. what if you mix interface and apply it immediately to the ceramic. then a fewminutes later apply it to the tooth to etch, but realize you don't have enough to adequately cover the entire prep. can you used surpass 1 or would you have to mix more interface?
Gerry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich!

As either Interface or Simp/Surp 1 can be used as the etchant for dentin or enamel, I would gather that one could go straight to part 1 of either in the event the Interface ran out.

I find that a drop each of Interface A & B is enough for 14 (+) applications. Found that out this morning when I did the experiment with the 2 hour old Interface. BTW nothing has fallen off! yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: