Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post


Interface Application to Cerec restorations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> General Cerec Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6342

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Interface Application to Cerec restorations Reply with quote

- Lightly sandblast internal surface of Cerec restoration
- Mix a drop of Interface A and Interface B in the well. At first the two will not mix. One drop will appear to sit on the other as a bubble.
- After 25-30 seconds the bubble will disintegrate. When it does, mix the solution for 5 secons with the enclosed applicator.
- Apply to the internal surface of the restoration, allow to dwell for 15-30 seconds.
- Dry THOROUGHLY for at least 5 seconds
- Apply a coat of Simplicity 2 to the internal surface over the Interface, dry it thoroughly and light-cure for 10 seconds.
- If you plan to use a dual-cure or self-cure resin cement, plus another coat of Simplicity 2 to the internal surface, dry but DO NOT light-cure.
- Treat tooth with with Simplicity acording to indirect protocol, add resin cement and insert.

_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark J Fleming DDS



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 736
Location: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Since the internal area of CEREC has been milled with a diamond, do you believe that to be rough enough? That is how I have been using it. I could send you a couple of milled restorations and you might test this out? Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6342

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark J Fleming DDS wrote:
John,

Since the internal area of CEREC has been milled with a diamond, do you believe that to be rough enough? That is how I have been using it. I could send you a couple of milled restorations and you might test this out? Cool


Please do. All the testing I have done on the VMKII has been to simply roughen it with 320 grit sandpaper but I do think the sandblasting is a positive thing.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark J Fleming DDS



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 736
Location: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
Mark J Fleming DDS wrote:
John,

Since the internal area of CEREC has been milled with a diamond, do you believe that to be rough enough? That is how I have been using it. I could send you a couple of milled restorations and you might test this out? Cool


Please do. All the testing I have done on the VMKII has been to simply roughen it with 320 grit sandpaper but I do think the sandblasting is a positive thing.


It will go out today or tomorrow. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cool kid



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 818
Location: chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark,

I think (personally) that the problem is not with the roughness of the surface(even more so with the fast mill), but will the residue of the oil and debris left on the intaglio after milling. I like to use alcohol and then sandblast and rinse. I'd really like one of those steamers like jewlers have in their stores to clean rings and things like that. Those things would remove all the residue that may be left.
_________________
Rich (cool kid) Rosenblatt
whipping boy of flem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6342

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool kid wrote:
mark,

I think (personally) that the problem is not with the roughness of the surface(even more so with the fast mill), but will the residue of the oil and debris left on the intaglio after milling. I like to use alcohol and then sandblast and rinse. I'd really like one of those steamers like jewlers have in their stores to clean rings and things like that. Those things would remove all the residue that may be left.


The sandblasting takes care of all of that.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cool kid



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 818
Location: chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

john kanca wrote:
cool kid wrote:
mark,

I think (personally) that the problem is not with the roughness of the surface(even more so with the fast mill), but will the residue of the oil and debris left on the intaglio after milling. I like to use alcohol and then sandblast and rinse. I'd really like one of those steamers like jewlers have in their stores to clean rings and things like that. Those things would remove all the residue that may be left.


The sandblasting takes care of all of that.


I know it takes care of all of that(which is why I do it), but have you ever seen and heard those steamers at work. Talk about power! I just think it is a rush to hear that whoosh of the pressure and the steam flying all over the place. Not saying it is necessary, just freakin cool!!! Cool
_________________
Rich (cool kid) Rosenblatt
whipping boy of flem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark J Fleming DDS



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 736
Location: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those steamers, Vident's Super Steamer. I hit the restoration right after it comes out of the milling chamber and again right before I use Interface. It does have a lot of pressure and the damn thing is hot! Ask me how I know! Shocked Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mark J Fleming DDS



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 736
Location: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it is a rush to hear that whoosh of the pressure and the steam flying all over the place. Not saying it is necessary, just freakin cool!!!

Rich, you need to get out more often! Wink Laughing Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cool kid



Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 818
Location: chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to work at a jewelry store when I was in highschool and college and always loved steam cleaning the stuff. When I heard that some use it in dentistry, got the juices pumping a little! Man I do need to get out more!!! Rolling Eyes Wink
_________________
Rich (cool kid) Rosenblatt
whipping boy of flem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dsg_c1



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 352
Location: mill creek, wa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was talking to lee culp in chicago about this very thing. he doesn't like the steam cleaners because of the high temps. he is worried about the rate of temp increase with those. he has seen fractures occur, same principle with trying to cool down the ceramic right out of the oven. the temps need to rise and lower evenly. so, he said if you are going to use them, be careful.

sounds like CK would have difficulty with being careful - since all of his "juices are flowing"!

i sand blast! i use to weld before dental school, anything to do with a machine shop - talk about juices flowing!!!!

take care,
d
_________________
darren greenhalgh dds
15130 main st suite 210
mill creek, wa. 98012
www.pacificNWsmiles.com
425.357.6400

friend of flem
frequently a blasphemer of John Kanca III, DMD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6342

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat could potentially create a problem because of the different coefficients of thermal expansion.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spruster1
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: sand blasting Reply with quote

hey john, thanks for the protocol. that's how i have been doing them so far except i haven't been placing a second coat of uncured sim 2. zero debonds early on.

i have read literature that states sandblasting can cause microfractures in all porcelain restorations and possibly shorten their longevity. does this have any merit? i'll try to dig up the lit because i just read it ~a month ago.

thanks, bruce
Back to top
spruster



Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 23
Location: akron,ohio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logged in Very Happy . also, our interface is stored @ ambient temp, will refrigeration of the silane be ok, needed?
_________________
spruce
go buckeyes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
john kanca



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 6342

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

spruster1 wrote:
hey john, thanks for the protocol. that's how i have been doing them so far except i haven't been placing a second coat of uncured sim 2. zero debonds early on.

i have read literature that states sandblasting can cause microfractures in all porcelain restorations and possibly shorten their longevity. does this have any merit? i'll try to dig up the lit because i just read it ~a month ago.

thanks, bruce


If I remember properly, Spruse, this was more about the higher strength ceramics than the feldspathics. I think that were it a real problem it would have shown up significantly by now.
_________________
"You need me on that wall."


"You don't have a town named after you"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> General Cerec Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group