Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

NYS HIV Courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Continuing Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: NYS HIV Courses Reply with quote

NYSDA Governors are designing legislature to mandate a course entitled "Post HIV Exposure Protocol". Apparently this course will be designed and supervised by the The Health Dept and Strong Memorial Hospital, Department of Infectious Disease.

Someone has to make up their mind! Is HIV & AIDS a disease or a disability?!?!?! As of now NYS has determined that being HIV positive or having full blown AIDS constitutes a "Disability". As such patients are covered by the Americans With Disability Act. As such I'm not permitted to ask any patient about their HIV profile!
d2thdr

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry, (Don't read anything into this that i'm not saying)

HIV/AIDS is a condition that affects health and longevity, as such we include it on our health history. We do not ask about venereal warts, however. Wink

We have long been dead center in the middle of a community that is effected by this disease (our specific neighborhood in Cincy), and have therefore been involved with treating infected individuals since prio to the discovery of the virus 9 neither they nor I knew they had it, but we were already treating them). Currently we have a large population of HIV+ patients (I would guess it's near or over 300 individuals).

We have never hesitated to ask about stauts of the patient, and never will hesitate. We are respective of their condition and they respect that we are more than willing to participate in their care. Some of them are "disabled" by the mental anguish of their fears, some by the stigma (like PTSD), some by the sheer financial burden trying to stay healthy will bring.

But for the majority of our patients, they are living and working like everyone else. We have watched one young woman get married and she now has 2 un-infected children. Living a great life. We have had one one death that we are aware of in the past several years (heart attack...he knew it was coming).

Gerry, I guess your comment puts on the frame of confusion and government BS that makes a mess of sooooo many things. I could have deleted this and ignored the thread, but decided not to. Not looking for an argument at all. Most of our patients are just looking for a place where they will be cared for like everyone else.

PS we also have a fairly large group of adult handicapped patients (physically and mentally), so it's just something we have gotten into. Smile
Gerry

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis:

What I was addressing is the fact that some geniuses in Albany have determined (I assume to be "Politically Correct") that in New York State an individual being HIV positive or having full blown AIDS would be suffering from a disability and not a disease. As such I am not permitted by law to question any patient as to their HIV profile.

Do I think this is stupid - certainly. So we treat everyone as if they were HIV positive. Seems strange that I can ask about Hepatitis, MS, birth comntrol devices, even the common cold, but not anything to do with AIDS.

The proposed mandated courses concerning HIV exposure are handled by an organization dealing with infectious disease. I just want the bureaucrats to make up their minds!
d2thdr

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gerry"]Dennis:

What I was addressing is the fact that some geniuses in Albany have determined (I assume to be "Politically Correct") that in New York State an individual being HIV positive or having full blown AIDS would be suffering from a disability and not a disease. As such I am not permitted by law to question any patient as to their HIV profile.

Do I think this is stupid - certainly. So we treat everyone as if they were HIV positive. Seems strange that I can ask about Hepatitis, MS, birth comntrol devices, even the common cold, but not anything to do with AIDS.

The proposed mandated courses concerning HIV exposure are handled by an organization dealing with infectious disease. I just want the bureaucrats to make up their minds![/quote]

That would be asking entirely too much! Wink
Gerry

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proposed mandated courses concerning HIV exposure are handled by an organization dealing with infectious disease. I just want the bureaucrats to make up their minds![/quote]

That would be asking entirely too much! From Dennis

"Intelligent politician" = Oxymoron! I was obviously having a fantasy.
d2thdr

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Intelligent politician" = Oxymoron! I was obviously having a fantasy.

I hope that sex was not involved in this particular fantasy? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Continuing Education All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: