Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Air thinnig Sim2 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRobinson

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Air thinnig Sim2 Questions Reply with quote

Apex dental,
I have used your product off and on for several months. I have some sensitivity issues. I have followed the video religiously, almost. In the video it states to air thin Sim 2 from 2 inches away and perpendicular to the tooth. I do not see how this is possible in most cases, especially with a matrix band in place. In the video the Sim 2 seems to pool next to the intact marginal ridge. I say this because of the way the light reflections change as the air stream tries to thin the material. I have bonded in approximately 75 CERECS, with no clinical failure. Some, 10%, continue to have mild sensitivity. 3 required Endo. I want to use one bonding agent for all of my composites, CERECS, and all ceramic crowns. I guess my question is can you over thin the 5 coates of Sim 2? I just do not see how you can properly thin the Sim 2 from a perpendicular air stream. I do not want to beat this to death, but you are very clear on saying, “Follow the instructions exactly”. So, then I start to look at Surpass. In the online written instructions there is no mention of air thinning the Sim 3 for a direct restoration, but in the video you are air thinning the Sim 3 in what seems to be a direct composite restoration. I have used Optibond solo plus for the last 6 years with good success. I am looking for a new bonding agent to replace the Optibond and to alleviate those few sensitivity cases you get with a total etch technique. Your company seems to have a great product, I just want to know how I can improve my results with this product. I have used Interface and Anchor since I started doing my CERECS, and like I said- zero debonds. My only deviation from you instructions is drying the tooth from a closer distance and from different angles trying to avoid any pooling of the Sim 2. Thanks for any information you can provide.
BRobinson
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What applicators are you using?

Do you light-activate Simplicity when it is applied or together with the Anchor?

Have you watched the video showing placement of the Cerec restoration? Do you place a matrix when seating a Cerec?

In the video it does say that you are free to thin Surpass 3 as you desire and for indirects it does say to thin out Surpass 3 sufficiently to allow seating of the restoration.

Let's see what we can do for you. Cool

"You don't have a town named after you"
BRobinson

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I am using the supplied red and blue brushes.
For indirects I am curing the simplicity prior to seating the restoration with anchor and letting the material reach its gel stage prior to curing it.
I do try and make sure there is no pooling of the Sim1, maybe that is where I am making the mistake. I never air thin Sim1, but sometimes will blot the brush dry and go abck to try and wick away any really wet areas. I have watched all of your videos related to these products. When the Sim 2 is dispensed it may be 15 -20 seconds before I apply it. Betweeen the first and second applications of the Sim 2 there is an additional 10-15 seconds while I air thin it. I am placing the air syringe about 1 inch away, I think my units are set at 45 psi.
When doing multiple teeth in a quadrant how do you manage them?
Do you completely apply Sim 1&2 prior to moving on to another tooth, and if so do you use a new well and apply new Sim 1&2 for that application? I received a response from Scott and he stated I cannot over thin/ dry the Sim2.
With all the Sim 2 that is applied and blown away, is there a concern on the Sim2 geting on an adjacent preparation? When I dispense the Sim2 it is MUCH thinner and comes out of the bottle very rapidly compared to the Sim1. After several uses the cap/ bottle interface will be covered with the Sim 2 overrun, is that common? I have been using unidose applications with optibond and cannot remember if that was common with the bottle dispensers. I am trying to supply you with all the information I can to achieve the best results. Thanks again for your quick response and information.
Brent
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the supplied red and blue brushes.
For indirects I am curing the simplicity prior to seating the restoration with anchor and letting the material reach its gel stage prior to curing it.
I do try and make sure there is no pooling of the Sim1, maybe that is where I am making the mistake. I never air thin Sim1, but sometimes will blot the brush dry and go abck to try and wick away any really wet areas.

Don't see me do that, do ya?
Wink

I have watched all of your videos related to these products. When the Sim 2 is dispensed it may be 15 -20 seconds before I apply it.

Try not to dispense it until you're ready to use it.

Betweeen the first and second applications of the Sim 2 there is an additional 10-15 seconds while I air thin it. I am placing the air syringe about 1 inch away, I think my units are set at 45 psi.

That's OK.

When doing multiple teeth in a quadrant how do you manage them?
Do you completely apply Sim 1&2 prior to moving on to another tooth, and if so do you use a new well and apply new Sim 1&2 for that application?

When doing veneers I'll use regular bristle brushes and do 6 at a time, walling off any more than that. I normally do direct restorations one at a time. If indirects I could see doing two but not more than that.

I received a response from Scott and he stated I cannot over thin/ dry the Sim2.

That's right.

With all the Sim 2 that is applied and blown away, is there a concern on the Sim2 geting on an adjacent preparation?

Not for me. The excess can be directed in whatever direction one desires.

When I dispense the Sim2 it is MUCH thinner and comes out of the bottle very rapidly compared to the Sim1. After several uses the cap/ bottle interface will be covered with the Sim 2 overrun, is that common?

Someone is holding it at 45 degrees or less and not inverted.

I have been using unidose applications with optibond and cannot remember if that was common with the bottle dispensers.

It can be controlled.

I am trying to supply you with all the information I can to achieve the best results. Thanks again for your quick response and information.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> Sensitivity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: