Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Simplicity and "shelf-life."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity®
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Simplicity and "shelf-life." Reply with quote

I found a bottle of Simplicity 2 that expired 12-2004, which means it was manufactured over a year previously. I put out a drop of it in one well and a drop of a new Sim 2 in the other (Picture A). The dark drop on the right is the old Sim 2. There can be no successful bonding with it as it is. Then I added a drop of acetone to the dark drop. (Picture B)

That material bonded fabulously (>32 MPa immediate).

The bottom line is keep an eye on the Sim 2 color. It ought to be pale. If either the material is old or is allowed to sit without the cap and the color is dark or amber, all one need do is add a drop of acetone to the well and the Sim 2 will be reconstituted and work great.

Thus I don't know yet whether Sim 2 has any realistic expiration date. The only thing that seems to happen is loss of solvent, which is, from a practical perspective, not avoidable.

Cool

"You don't have a town named after you"
Mark J Fleming DDS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

What do you believe would happen if you added a drop of fresh Sim 2 to the old? Thanks Cool
john kanca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually would not be a useful as adding a drop of acetone, since all that's amiss is the loss of solvent.

But I think this finding is pretty cool.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Simplicity® All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: