Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

Ceramic conditioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Ceramic conditioning Reply with quote

I've got involved into ceramic conditioning discussion on another forum.
I advocate Interface (use it all the time since, say, last three years... couldn't be happier) but having a hard time to explain why you don't need HF acid anymore.

John, i remember you've mentioned the crack issue somewhere (either here or on DT) but can't find the thread...

Could you go in a bit o detail of what happens when you etch ceramic, why and how Interface helps to avoid this, please?

Kind regards,
Dmitri Ruzanov
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmitri

The literature suggests that mechanical retention of ceramic can be gained with either sandblasting or HF etching.

Barghi argued that silanization was the most important aspect of ceramic treatment and it was Barghi's advice I sought when devising a study.

That study is here:

1382 In-vitro comparison of ceramic bonding systems
J. KANCA III, Private Practice, Middlebury, CT, USA, and G.B. GREITZER, Private Practice, Tarrytown, NY, USA
Introduction: Bonding to ceramic has classically used treatment with HF acid as part of the bonding protocol. The purpose of this investigation is to compare the performance of a non-HF ceramic treatment vs a typical ceramic treatment protocol.

Methods: Three different types of ceramics were used in the study; a feldspathic ceramic (Vita Bloc Mark II, Vident, {V}) , a pressed ceramic (Procad, Ivoclar {P}) and Ceramco II (Dentsply) {C}). The ceramics (10 of each) were cut into bars at least 10 mm long and 4 mm wide and mounted in autocure acrylic. The surfaces were ground flat for bonding and wet-sanded with 320 grit paper. Half of the ceramic surfaces were masked off. The exposed half of the ceramic surfaces were treated with a HF gel etchant (Ultradent) for 2 minutes, rinsed and dried. A ceramic primer (Scotchprime, 3M) was applied and dried. A one bottle resin adhesive (OneStep, Bisco) was applied, dried and light-cured.{S} Composite posts ( Z100{3M}, 2.38 mm diameter) were attached. The masking was removed and untreated surface was sandblasted briefly with 27 micron aluminum oxide, rinsed and dried. Interface ceramic primer was mixed, applied, and dried. Then Simplicity 2 was applied and dried and light-activated. {I} Composite posts were applied. The specimens were stored in water at 37 degrees C for three weeks, and then subject to shear testing on a universal testing machine.

Results: Mean (S.D.) mPa

SV 37.7 (7.9) IV 35.7 (6.5) SP 45.1 (8. Cool IP 51.7 (7.3) SC 36.3 (5.2) IC 49.9 (8.2)

Conclusions: T-testing indicates no significant differences between groups SV and IV and groups SP and IP. IC was significantly higher than SC. Under the conditions tested, Interface appears to be a suitable substitute for typical ceramic bonding procedures without the use of HF acid.

Seq #164 - Surface Treatments and Bonding to Zirconia
10:45 AM-12:15 PM, Friday, March 23, 2007 Ernest N. Morial Convention Center 393
Back to the Dental Materials: III - Ceramics and Cements Program
Back to the IADR/AADR/CADR 85th General Session and Exhibition (March 21-24, 2007)

In addition, Interface was given a 100% recommendation from CRA (that will help although I don't honestly place much value on it)

"You don't have a town named after you"
lancet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, John!
It is always nice to have good information backed up by the science.

However, could you tell the crack story as well? Wink
Could one overetch ceramic? Does frosty salt layer influence bond strentgh/reliability if not removed after etching?
john kanca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancet wrote:
Thanks a lot, John!
It is always nice to have good information backed up by the science.

However, could you tell the crack story as well? Wink
Could one overetch ceramic? Does frosty salt layer influence bond strentgh/reliability if not removed after etching?

The salt layer can affect silanes badly, but Interface will perform far better with a "salty" layer than will the usual silane.

I think you mean crack initiation sites. HF treatment creates far more of these than does sandblasting.

"You don't have a town named after you"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Interface All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: