Apex Information Exchange Forum Index Apex Information Exchange
Hosted by Dr. John Kanca III DMD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   REGISTER 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit Apex Dental Materials     Upload Photos To Your Post

sealants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Titan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
priior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: sealants Reply with quote

Hi!

being from the great white north as well, just recently heard the good word about apex dental. (nobody else i know ventures using products not sold by the only major retailer here)

i'd like to use titan for my sealants. my concern is: is it necessary to aggressively prep the fissures (not just a simple ameloplasty which i do) to accommodate for a thicker titan placement. i think it was Dr Randall Cohen video on DT that talks about having enough material thickness for those highly filled, higher flexural strength flowables to prevent them from "popping out". (i understand he's not talking about titan, but i wonder if there are similarities)

(i'm not sure im comfortable cutting 1mm wide troughs as a "preventative" treatment)

thanks!
Ekrause

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan is an awesome sealant. Just clean out the grooves, Surpass, and flow.

Randal Cohen has no clue.
john kanca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sealants Reply with quote

priior wrote:
Hi!

being from the great white north as well, just recently heard the good word about apex dental. (nobody else i know ventures using products not sold by the only major retailer here)

i'd like to use titan for my sealants. my concern is: is it necessary to aggressively prep the fissures (not just a simple ameloplasty which i do) to accommodate for a thicker titan placement. i think it was Dr Randall Cohen video on DT that talks about having enough material thickness for those highly filled, higher flexural strength flowables to prevent them from "popping out". (i understand he's not talking about titan, but i wonder if there are similarities)

(i'm not sure im comfortable cutting 1mm wide troughs as a "preventative" treatment)

thanks!

Before taking anyone's advice, be sure that the one to whom one might listen actually knows that about which he opines.

"You don't have a town named after you"
priior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough! Smile

thanks for the swift replies! i look forward to this week and my kits arriving (hopefully)!

im getting tired of carefully etching enamel before applying my SE adhesive.
Kben

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do you always clean out or open the grooves before placing a sealant? If so what bur do you usually use?
jasonl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opine is one of my favorite words......

I like Titan but I hate the tips that come with it.

Initially, it was hard to get used to how easily it flows....previously using Gradia Lo-flo which gave me somewhat of a tactile feel. Titan doesn't have that (or maybe my hands are just going numb) so I have to make sure my loupes have all the blood cleaned off when I flow the titan.

ok, done opining now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kben wrote:
John, do you always clean out or open the grooves before placing a sealant? If so what bur do you usually use?

ALWAYS.

I like to use either an 003 (1/16th round bur) or an 004 (1/8th round bur) from Brasseler.

Ekrause

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the grooves are so pristine that they don't need cleaning out, I question why a sealant is needed on that tooth in the first place.
john kanca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekrause wrote:
If the grooves are so pristine that they don't need cleaning out, I question why a sealant is needed on that tooth in the first place.

Indeed.

Kben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seal pristine grooves however stained grooves don't usually get the fissurectomy treatment right now which i want to change. Do you find surpass fills the prep or are you able to air thin it enough? Also with titan because it is more highly filled do you need to adjust bite after or can it be "ground" in like other sealants? Do you still charge it as a sealant?
john kanca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kben wrote:
I don't seal pristine grooves however stained grooves don't usually get the fissurectomy treatment right now which i want to change. Do you find surpass fills the prep or are you able to air thin it enough? Also with titan because it is more highly filled do you need to adjust bite after or can it be "ground" in like other sealants? Do you still charge it as a sealant?

If something needs a sealant then I will use Surpass and Titan. It remains a sealant unless it does into dentin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Apex Information Exchange Forum Index -> About Titan All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: